Maintaining the legally required 100 feet of defensible space around your property can be a challenge for homeowners. Once you’ve taken the necessary steps to protect your property by thinning and trimming hazardous brush, you are often left with large piles of dry vegetation, which can themselves become a fire hazard.
That is why we created our No-Cost Chipping program for residents in high-fire risk properties in San Diego County. Once you’ve done the hard work of preparing the space, our contractors come out and chip the cleared vegetation for you, free of charge. The chips are left with you and can be used as a weed suppressing mulch on your property.
Please prepare your chipping piles before you sign up for the program.
- No ground-clearing disturbance permitted while removing tree limbs or brush
- Chipping crew is not responsible for moving brush beyond a 5′ distance from the chipper
- No palm, cactus, poison oak, or ice plant will be chipped
- Brush must be free of mud, rocks, and other debris
- Maximum six-inch diameter on cut limbs
- Piles should be: no more than six feet high, within five feet of road edge, and with cut ends facing road
- Piles must be fully accessible for chipping equipment and crew
- Chipped material to be left on-site in the area, not hauled away
- Brush or limbs that have been mechanically removed (by tractor or bulldozer) will not be chipped
- Brush or limbs that have been cleared or stacked with a tractor, or bulldozer, will not be chipped
- Final scheduling decisions are made by the contractor based on location
Currently, we are only servicing properties within the San Diego River Watershed and Consortium Watersheds due to funding guidelines. To determine if you are within our current service boundary, enter your address in the search bar on the upper right hand corner of the map below. If you are outside of the boundary, you can still sign up to our program to join our waitlist. Please note, completing an application is not a guarantee of service.
Once your piles are prepared and ready for chipping, please click the ‘Sign Up’ button below to add your property to the wait list. If you do not have internet access, please call the Fire Safe Council at 619-562-0096 to sign up.
- The No-Cost Chipping Program for fuel reduction is offered in targeted communities and are subject to availability of funding. Communities may be added or removed without notice.
- This program is funding dependent, and currently there is a wait list for properties outside of the San Diego River and Consortium Watersheds. If you are on the wait list, it is NOT a guarantee your property will be chipped.
- The No-Cost Chipping Program is administered by the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County in partnership with the Fire Safe Council of San Diego County. Funding is provided by grants from the San Diego River Conservancy, San Diego Gas and Electric, and the United States Forest Service.
- In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.